Sen. Bob Hertzberg to join local bike ride along Metro Orange Line Bikeway in San Fernando Valley’s first-ever CicLAvia
Pre-event ride to begin at 7:45 a.m. Sunday, March 22
VAN NUYS – Sen. Bob Hertzberg, D-Van Nuys, a longtime advocate and entrepreneur for renewable energy and alternative power sources, will participate in two events early Sunday to promote pedal power as a transportation alternative.
The first will be at 7:45 a.m. as Hertzberg joins a special pre-event bike ride in Van Nuys to attend the San Fernando Valley’s first-ever CicLAvia early Sunday morning, March 22.
The second will be at 8:45 a.m. when Hertzberg will join other local elected officials in a press conference to talk about CicLAvia.
Metro Presents “CicLAvia - The Valley” edition will run 5.5 miles along Lankershim Boulevard, from Universal City to North Hollywood and Coldwater Canyon. This will be the first time the car-free event will take place in the Valley, and the selected route will highlight some of the gems of the East Valley, including the North Hollywood Arts District, Universal City, the historic Campo de Cahuenga, Studio City Farmers Market and the famed Sportsmen's Lodge.
The pre-event ride, called “Take Me to CicLAvia,” is intended to be a “feeder ride” that brings groups of bicyclists to the North Hollywood CicLAvia Hub from throughout the Valley region. The ride exclusively uses the Metro Orange Line Bike Path and Chandler Boulevard bike lanes to demonstrate how event attendees can access CicLAvia’s North Hollywood Hub as an alternate to the Metro Orange Line. Metro is boosting bus service frequencies to about every four minutes; but if bus bike racks become full, cyclists can avoid waiting for an available space by riding along the transit line’s adjacent bikeway to the event.
- WHO: Sen. Bob Hertzberg joins pre-event CicLAvia bike ride along Metro Orange Line Bike Path. Attendees can talk with Hertzberg about the value of riding bicycles and their growing transportation role in the region.
- WHAT: “Take Me to CicLAvia” pre-event bike ride with Sen. Bob Hertzberg.
- WHEN: 7:30 a.m. meet-up, 7:45 a.m. departure, Sunday, March 22, 2015. This is followed at 8:45 a.m. by a press conference at the North Hollywood Station.
- WHERE: The 7:45 a.m. pre-event ride event is at the Van Nuys Metro Orange Line Station, 6060 Van Nuys Boulevard, Van Nuys. The 8:45 a.m. press conference will be near the North Hollywood Orange Line/Red Line Station, located at 5391 Lankershim Boulevard, North Hollywood.
- WHY: To improve public awareness of forms of transportation other than automobiles, reduce our carbon footprint and appreciate the San Fernando Valley community as a pedestrian.
CicLAvia catalyzes vibrant public spaces, active transportation and good health through car-free streets. CicLAvia is an innovative model for creating new public space and enriching civic life by engaging with people to transform our relationship with our communities and with each other.
PHOTO CAPTION: These are the wheels Sen. Hertzberg plans to ride at Sunday's event.
For more, visit Hertzberg’s Web site at the address below.
Bob Hertzberg, chair of the Senate Committee on Governance and Finance, represents nearly 1 million San Fernando Valley residents of Senate District 18, which includes part of Burbank and the following communities in Los Angeles: Arleta, Granada Hills, Hansen Dam, Lake View Terrace, Mission Hills, North Hills, North Hollywood, part of Northridge, Pacoima, Panorama City, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, part of Sun Valley, Sylmar, Toluca Lake, Valley Glen, Valley Village, Van Nuys, the City of San Fernando and Universal City. See a district map HERE or athttp://sd18.senate.ca.gov/district. After serving in the Assembly from 1996-2002, including two years as Speaker, Hertzberg built an international renewable energy business; invested in solar, wind and electric-car projects; and worked for structural changes in government through two civic groups: California Forward and the Think Long Committee of California. More HERE or at www.senate.ca.gov/hertzberg
MEDIA CONTACT: Ray Sotero
Sen. Bob Hertzberg, Senate District 18
Capitol Building, Room 4038
Sacramento, Calif. 95814
(916) 651-4018 office; 916 834-1128 cell